The National Occupational Standards (NOS)
specify the standard of performance an individual must achieve when carrying out a function in the workplace, together with the knowledge and understanding they need to meet that standard consistently.
NOS ARE USED FOR TWO MAIN PURPOSES
- To develop curriculum for the delivery of training
- To develop assessment instruments and tools for the assessment and certification of learners.
BENEFITS TO EMPLOYER FOR ENGAGEMENT OF APPRENTICE
- Benchmarks of good practice.
- Description of functions, standards of performance and knowledge/understanding.
- Developed/ laid out by/with Employers.
- A set of NOS, aligned to a job role, called Qualification Pack. Each Qualification Pack is bench marked at a specific Skill/ Competency level as per
A Qualification Pack (QP) defines the set of NOS which are aligned to one Job Role. A Qualification Pack aligned to NSQF drives both the creation of a course, curriculum & content, and assessments. Thus NSQF makes it possible to drive competency/ outcome based training and assessment for every job role in industry. Such NSQF aligned Qualification Pack along with its curriculum and assessment guidelines is then approved by National Skills Qualification Committee (NSQC) as Indian Vocational Qualification and is them listed in National Qualification Register (NQR).In addition to the creation, delivery and assessment of skilling program, the Qualification Packs can be used by Employers for Recruitment, Performance Appraisals and Deriving the Training Needs for upskilling programs.